Over 240 years ago, what we now, call the United States of America, decided, it was essential, to fight for its independence, and our Founding Fathers, attempted to create a nation, based on liberty, and justice, for all. Since then, there has been a war, between the states, known as the Civil War, which is remembered for many things, but memorable because of President Lincoln’s, Gettysburg Address, with the famous sentiment, brought forth a free nation, dedicated to the proposition, that all men, are created equal. Our nation fought in the first and second, World War’s, with the stated intention, of fighting for freedom and human rights. We entered into the conflicts in Korea and Vietnam, for supposedly, similar reasons. President Lyndon Johnson fought to have the rights broadened, for all Americans, regardless of race, etc, in the 1960’s, and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr, was assassinated, for his efforts, to bring about, true, civil rights. After the atrocities of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, the late comedian, George Carlin, warned us, if we do not protect all our freedoms, then, The terrorists win. However, in the last few years, we have witnessed rhetoric and vitriol, by several politicians, elected officials, and so – called, journalists, with a polarizing, level, we have witnessed, in generations. Yesterday, in Mississippi, the voters of that state, determined, and decided, they would elect a woman, who made several, apparently, racist, inflammatory comments, and what does that say, about our citizens? President Trump, whether, because of his true beliefs, or for some personal/ political agenda, and self – interest, has stoked the fears of many, pitting citizen, against citizen, ethnicity/ race, against ethnicity/ race, and created an atmosphere, where many, are concerned, with the attempt to transform us, from respecting all our rights and freedoms/ liberties, to selectively doing so, for personal reasons, etc!
1. The Statue of Liberty: We proudly, point, to the principles stated on the Statue of Liberty, where we proclaim, to give us, your neediest, and oppressed, who seek freedom. In today’s world, Lady Liberty, and many of our Founding Fathers, and the freedom fighters, who came in later generations, would probably be ashamed, of what we are witnessing!
2. Blame and complain: President Trump continues to articulate a message, blaming, especially immigrants, and/ or, those seeking asylum, for whatever, he seems to believe, his core supporters, might be motivated by! Instead of welcoming all, while taking responsible safety steps and precautions, there has been a lumping together, of specific ethnicities, etc. If America fails to lead, the world, in the battle for human rights, freedoms, and liberties, our identity and cause, will be lost, in the longer – run!
3. The American Way: Wouldn’t we be better served, if the mission of Superman, seeking, truth, justice and the American Way, was seriously considered, and believed in/ followed?
4. Economic/ tax policy: Historically, Trickle – Down Economics, has never worked, effectively, over the longer – term! The tax reform, passed, in 2017, rather than significantly assisting and serving the middle – class, and most Americans, predominantly assisted, and benefited, the wealthiest people, and our largest corporations. Shouldn’t we focus on essential human needs, such as environmental (clean air and water), health care, etc, instead of, merely, the wealthiest, becoming even, wealthier?
5. Foreign priorities: What message does it say, and what are we affirming, when our President, supports a foreign nation, which we do, significant business with, even after, our Intelligence agencies, proclaim, they committed human rights atrocities?
Wake up, America, and stand – up, for all our freedoms and liberties, or, realize, the future, will become, far less free, and just! Will you demand, your public officials, prioritize these basic rights?